One Hour Can Change Your Life

Relax and focus - in one hour - at or near your home. Use your One Hour Retreat to get back on track - in your business, in your relationships, or in just being YOU!

Saturday

Don't Be So Serious - Play!


Some people think of retreats as somewhat somber or serious or "deep" affairs.

And they certainly can be.  People frequently take retreats is to sort out a troubling issue or clear out some negativity that has built up.  And so the energy of retreat is often introspective, inward facing, quiet, and yes, somewhat "serious."  And amidst that energy one often finds in retreat a wellspring of quiet but very real joy.

But retreats do not have to be solo, quiet or serious.  They can be playful, fun, and creative.

In these dark, cold days of winter, it can be especially challenging to keep the spirit of play alive.

I recently stumbled across the "Society of the Secret Play Date."  Productivity through play - what a great way to spend a One Hour Retreat!    I haven't tried this yet, but here's the link, if you want to check it out:  http://smartsandculture.com/blog/2011/april/play-date-04-05.

And don't give me any of that "I'm just not creative" baloney.  I don't consider myself particularly artistic, but incorporating play and creativity into my days and weeks makes me a lot happier and more fun to be around - and more productive too.

Other ways you can play:

  • Turn on the radio and dance (no one is watching...)
  • Use crayons or markers to color in a coloring book
  • Knit, crochet, quilt, etc.
  • Write or record a short story for your child or grandchild - you know all her favorite themes
  • Bake
  • Build a snowman (go with the flow of winter, rather than fighting it)
  • Be like Fred Astaire and sing in the rain
  • Take a class - learn something new
  • Take a "field trip" to a local attraction you've never been to
  • Take in a performance you usually wouldn't (try hip-hop if you're a ballet nut, and vice versa)
  • Trade knock-knock jokes with a grade-schooler
  • Watch your favorite funny movie
  • [your ideas here]

I’ve been thinking a lot about play lately.  It just seems to keep coming up – my friends and my clients are all complaining that they want to be able to laugh at work, they want to have time to have fun and enjoy life, they want to stop and smell the roses. 

Play is an essential part of life.  Some high achievers seem to be happy working all the time - but that's because they have combined work and play in a way that is highly satisfying to them.  They literally play at their work.  And that's a great goal - and one I have some growing to do before I'll achieve.

Until then,  I vow to incorporate more play into my life, starting today.  Who's with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment